Friday, January 4, 2013

Anniversary

There's no other way to describe it, but for lack of a better word it has been one year.  My what a year.  Raising kids, fixing meals, cleaning the house, working, and playing.  MS doesn't automatically come with a rest.  It is with you as long as you want it.  A good friend of mine, recommended that I start a blog and said it would  do good for others to hear about my MS, or what I like to call my specialness.

It did begin a year ago, but like many it was years before that the journey first began.  As many do, I went from Dr to Dr looking for a reason that I had a weird sensation under my right foot and my hands were feeling numb on and off.  I  ended up at a neurologist's office and he quickly ordered an MRI and Spinal Tap. When the results , were turned into him, he labeled me with that of MS.  Since that day, over the last year I have heard so many  reactions to having MS.  I've had people explain that I should keep it to myself.  There have been those that say "sorry". There have been those that say "what is it"  and luckily those that say "you seem like the same person to me".  In weird ways probably everyone is right in their own way.  To me I've become cynical, satirical, ironic, uncoordinated, and very grateful. 

I guess I've never been the type to leave well enough alone.  It's been no different with MS and most of this year has been me learning everything I can in or around MS. I've joined the MS Society, the National MS Association,  MS Direct,  Terry Wahls Website.  I've been to support group meetings, received online counseling.  I've attended and participated in a "free from falls workshop".  Enjoyed a day at a Historical Train Station and received a "brighter tomorrow" grant from the MS Society.  Suffice it is to say, there is a lot around a label like MS.

For me, after the initial shock of MS.  It's been important for me to learn as much as I can about it, and learn to live with it. From the beginning of this year it became obvious to me that it was going to take a multi point plan to cover the things that MS can affect.   I knew that Medicine was going to be part of my defense but I've also known that a good offense is usually the best defense. My offense began with nutrition. I've learned an amazing amount about nutrition but there is always room to tweak.  My next area to solidify has been chiropractic care with Dr. Dennis Smith. Luckily the chiropractor that I meant was also a neurologist.  With my  plan multi faceted, it has also included religion and the  law of attraction.  In the future I hope to include, yoga, Tai Chi, more movement, and more energy.

With all of these things there have been ups and downs.  Sometimes I don't feel very good and I still have to go and see the neurologist. Sometimes it just gets old and you don't want to take your injection.  Sometimes you get tired of people asking, "you can't eat that? uh?" This plan and all the ups and downs of MS will be part of this blog.  The only thing I'll say for now is "what you think you will be tomorrow, you will be".

No comments:

Post a Comment